TIPS FOR LOOKING at art TOGETHER
- Ask questions while you are looking at the artworks: What do you see? What is the artwork made of? Who made the artwork?
- “I Spy” is a fun game to identify shapes, colours, and objects.
- Encourage your children to use their imaginations. What would you see, smell, or hear if you were inside the artwork? Remember, there are no right or wrong answers!
- Bring paper and a pencil and sketch in the Galleries. You might also encourage them to write a story or poem inspired by the artwork or when you get home, create an artwork inspired by their favourite part of the visit.
- Quality not quantity – Take your time and take lots of breaks, you don’t have to see everything in one visit.
- Pick up some fun Sketch activity cards. They are designed for kids aged 4+ and are available from the Information Desk on Level 1 or inside the Galleries on Level 2. A gold coin donation is appreciated.
- Ask for a Kids and Families calendar to stick on your fridge at home! It’s a great tool to see what we have to offer for the whole year at a glance.
- Capture your fun day out with a snap and share it with your friends using the tag #MCAkids. Just remember to turn of the flash.
- Make it fun! You don’t have to be an expert to talk about and enjoy art.
- Ask us – our Gallery Hosts are happy to answer any of your questions.
WHERE TO FIND…
Toilets & baby changing facilities
Toilets are located on Levels 2, 3 and 4. A baby change table is located in the accessible toilet located on Level 3 and there is a dedicated parent’s room with bathroom facilities on the ground level.
Cloak room & stroller parking
Prams are welcome in the Galleries but cloaking is available at the information desk on level 1, subject to space availability.
A water fountain is located near the parents room on the ground level.
Eat and drink
The MCA Café offers a range of menu options suitable for children. If you would like to enjoy a picnic, the MCA front lawn is a great spot to unroll a rug and enjoy a sandwich while taking advantage of the beautiful harbour views.
You can access the MCA via the Circular Quay entrance (Take the lifts to Level 1) or via the George St entrance on Level 1.
The MCA Store on Level 1 stocks a wide range of products for children, including books, pens, games and clothing.