We invite expressions of interest for a project team to assist with the design and delivery of the MCA’s summer pop up bar project for 2017/18.
Following the success of the MCA’s pop-up bars in 2015, The Gin Garden (inspired by British artist Grayson Perry), and in 2016, The Cherry Blossom Bar (inspired by Japanese artist Tatsuo Miyajima), we are looking for a highly skilled and passionate professional design team to deliver an immersive and unique environment which will operate as multi-function event space and commercial bar to coincide with this year’s Sydney International Art Series exhibition by renowned Swiss video artist, Pipilotti Rist.
The MCA’s Ambassador Terrace is one of Sydney’s most unique harbour-side venues, located on the ground floor of the Museum (in front of the original sandstone building) with direct access to Circular Quay. This open-air venue features a partially covered roof and takes full advantage of the city’s beautiful climate.
From October through to February, the Terrace will be transformed into a ‘pop-up’ summer bar inspired by the Museum’s major summer exhibition by Pipilotti Rist, offering a styled backdrop for private events as well as functioning commercial bar open to the public.
• Create a ‘living shopfront’ to promote the Pipilotti Rist exhibition – the MCA’s only ticketed exhibition each year – from 1 November 2017 to 18 February 2018
• Drive visitation to the Museum by existing and new audiences
• Generate strong PR and Social Media coverage for the bar and exhibition – providing shareable, ‘instagrammable’ moments and photo opportunities
• Generate commercial revenue for the Museum
The design concept for the bar will be developed in consultation with the MCA and catering partner, Culinary Edge. The design concept will take into account space functionality, safety and security, as well as expertly executed styling and design to ensure a high level of ‘kerbside’ appeal and PR/marketing interest. The concept will reference the summer exhibition however must be a distinct offering that creates a destination venue for the Sydney summer period.
Pipilotti Rist: Sip my ocean will form part of the Sydney International Art Series (SIAS) which takes place annually at the MCA with the support of Destination New South Wales, and in collaboration with the Art Gallery of NSW – who will in the same summer period present Masterpieces from the Rijksmuseum.
Pipilotti Rist is one of the world’s most celebrated contemporary artists. Her lush and playful multi-screen video installations invite audiences to immerse themselves in the environments she creates, and will undoubtedly captivate local and international visitors.
Rist has drawn record crowds across the globe, including at the Museum of Modern Art in New York in 2009 and the New Museum in New York in 2016.
Please respond via email by 5pm on 17 May. Your submission should include:
• Organisation’s Contact details.
• Description of company
• Examples of relevant experience and technical capacity.
• Staff experience
• References or testimonials.
• 400-600 word proposal outlining your interest in the project, capacity to deliver to brief and meet below criteria.
The design team must be able to
• Work with the MCA project team and within budget allocated
• Take into account MCA design and exhibition related considerations
• Work effectively with various MCA stakeholders including catering and corporate partners
• Work with the MCA’s building services team to ensure safe work practices and protection of the MCA’s built structures and collection
• Uphold the MCA’s values
• Be sensitive to the MCA’s needs and vision
Design project delivery includes
• Design development and preparation
• Equipment sourcing/pre-build
• Project build and de-rig
• Technical and maintenance support
• EOI submissions close – 17 May
• Preliminary design meetings with shortlisted candidates – 22 to 26 May
• Design development – from 29 May
• Onsite build commences – early/mid October
• Opening – late October
• De-installation – from 19 February 2018
Sarah Barron, MCA Events Manager
Museum of Contemporary Art Australia
140 George Street
Sydney NSW 1223
T 61 2 9245 2455
M 0449 898 316