– 2 Millionth Visitor
Posted on May 6, 2014
Today we celebrated our 2 millionth visitor since we reopened in 2012. To celebrate this event, the artist Liam Benson created a performance entitled ‘Me & You’ for the occasion. It involved tonnes of gold glitter, Liam in extraordinary gold regalia and a very lucky two visitors who came in at just the right moment. Because our artists and audiences are why we exist – here are some of the MCA’s major achievements and quirky facts that you may or may not already know about us;
• 1.6 million people have visited the MCA online
• Kids & Families audiences have increased 15-fold
• The MCA has had over a 1,000 events, 100 Weddings, and a couple of surprise proposals (they said yes)
• The MCA Hosts cloak hundreds of items so that visitors can wander the Museum at ease, this has included a unicycle, half a pizza, a visitors own shoes, an artwork supposedly done by Michelangelo, and a visitor once attempted to cloak their guide dog during an event. Unfortunately we were unable to take it.
• The MCA Store has sold 1,577 I heart MCA badges and 317 Bum Magic books by the author Claudia Rowe
• Over our 13 C3West projects in Western Sydney, the MCA has been indoctrinated into the culture of cars with 5 shining sexspecs cars, 10 cars dredged from the St George River, two bogged tow trucks and a broken crane
• Approximately 2,400 free guided tours have occurred equating to 50,000 people learning a little more about contemporary art
• Our National Creative Learning Centre has used 3,000 balls of coloured string used throughout our popular kids programs from Art Safari to our Artplay
• The MCA has had approximately 398 living artists exhibited at MCA (including building commissions & C3West)
• Our touring exhibitions have travelled approximately 24, 827km, providing those visiting galleries such as the Ipswich or Bendigo Art Galleries some of the unique offerings Sydneysiders get as a matter of course
• The MCA Cafe has made 16,400 coffees. Adding tea and hot chocolate you’re looking at 25,0000 hot beverages with the best view of Sydney Harbour
• Kids and parents have made 9,354 colourful, collaborative and wacky artworks on Sunday Family Fun Days
• MCA’s Genext on-the-night feedback’s most common answer to the question ‘What would you like to see happen at the next Genext?’ is: ‘Katie Perry’. Genext is MCA’s award-winning program offering Sydney teenagers the chance to meet, explore and create with established artists and like-minded young people. There have been 11 of these since reopening.
Keep coming back and you might be our 3millionth visitor!