– General Building Assistant
Posted on Feb. 4, 2013
General Building Assistant
12 month contract
A bold, new and significantly expanded Museum of Contemporary Art Australia was unveiled to the public in March 2012. The redevelopment has transformed the MCA, with spacious new galleries including an entire floor dedicated to the MCA Collection; the National Centre for Creative Learning with state-of-the-art technology; public spaces that embrace one of the world’s most famous locations, and a series of site-specific artists’ commissions. The expansion increased the Museum’s foot print by almost 50% and in the 10 months since it opened visitation has increased from a former record 12 month attendance of 587,000 to just under1,000,000 visitors.
The MCA is recognised for its commitment to minimizing its environmental impact, both now and in its future. The expanded MCA provides Australia with a leading example of a sustainable museum including a sea water heat exchange to reduce the MCA carbon footprint, LED lighting, water capture and sustainable waste management being just a few of the initiatives incorporated in the new build.
An exciting opportunity currently exists for an organised individual to provide building maintenance and back up support to the Building Services Manager. This position will carry out general maintenance and repairs of the building working 5 days per week Sunday to Thursday. This includes minor building repairs, small painting projects throughout the building as well as organising larger more technical repairs through external contractors when required. The role will also be involved with populating the MCA Asset Management system and ensuring maintenance records are up to date, back up support in the Security office and responding to building alarms.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Previous experience in a maintenance/handyman role
- Good administration and organisational skills
- Good communications skills, ability to communicate consistently and provide updates on maintenance issues with key stakeholders and or immediate managers
- Good project management skills
- Be a self-motivated all round handy person who is willing to learn and employ new skills
- Tertiary qualifications in an engineering/building discipline and/or relevant experience
- Previous experience working in the visitor attraction/cultural sector
- Previous experience coordinating emergency evacuations and knowledge of current OH&S requirements, building codes and Australian standards
- Knowledge of asset and facilities management practices
Short listing for interviews will be based on applicants meeting the essential criteria listed in the position description. Enquiries can be directed to Dee Brown on 02 9245 2486.
Please send your application, including names and telephone numbers of two referees to the Human Resources Manager, Museum of Contemporary Art, PO Box R1286, Royal Exchange, NSW, 1223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close 15 February 2013
The MCA is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity